links about us archives search home
SustainabiliTankSustainabilitank menu graphic
SustainabiliTank

 
 
Follow us on Twitter

 

Posted on Sustainabilitank.info on December 6th, 2010
by Pincas Jawetz (pj@sustainabilitank.info)

Looking at the Monday December 6th world news in the media, and with the Fareed Zakaria program of yesterday still in our ears, we thought a Global Reality Check is in place – this in the sense of what are the real global power divisions in a world that pushes towards 7 billion people and in which the financial reserves have moved from the traditional North-Atlantic safety-pin towards the new Billionaires of China and India, and further two new supper blocks in the making.

Thinking of the 192 plus seats in the UN glass building, the unclear cohesion in Europe, the unclean evolution in the Islamic world, the need of something really new to take over the “Rest-of-the- World,” and the re-emergence of honesty thanks to the WikiLeaks – hear is our suggestions of what the WORLD is really like:

According to the International Programs Center, U.S. Census Bureau, the total population of the World, projected to 12/06/10 – that is right today –¬† is 6,886,109,339 people.

Of above 1,34 billion potential producers and consumers live in China – that is 19.5% of the total and another 1,19 billion or 17.3% of the total live in India. We have thus 36.8% of the world population in just two competing eastern countries that posses nuclear know-how and enough nuclear arms to be viewed as no push-overs by the old Western powers. They have a growing middle class and strong political systems. They have increasing numbers of billionaires in the Forbes list and in every further world grouping to be entitled to sit at the same table with China and India must be of the billion people size. Just please forget the old United Nations Security Council. It is a joke in real power terms.

Who are the other Four States or rather cohesive groupings that can sit at their new table?

I will suggest the following:

(1) a new Anglo-Saxon group led by the United States (4.52% of World Population) and including the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and perhaps also two further outsiders – Japan and Mexico – whose economies got enmeshed with the US. In total figures – this will still be the smallest group.

(2) a new Christian Eurasian Union that will stretch from the Iberian Peninsula to the Kamchatka Peninsula. This group is led by an economic alliance axis linking Germany and Russia (2.06% of World Population) Рwill be multi-lingual but use the English language as uniter. In effect this group will be the fulfillment of the EU ideal Рpost Cold-War Рafter it becomes clear to the present members that there is no way they can continue with a monetary union  that is not supported by economic reality. It is not the spread of a similar concept of democracy that is the most crucial component here as per US post-WWII era Рit is rather the availability of primary materials and the evolution of a middle class in Russia that will push for the incorporation of Russia into the EU, and eventually agreements that will bring Russia to join also the EURO and let Germany help carry along the weaker members in agreement with Russia. This new union is not a labor of love Рbut clearly the understanding that without doing so, as individual entities, they have no place at the table. Occupying now three seats out of five at the UN Security Council, Europe has retained furniture but lost relevance.

(3) an Islamic billion people bloc led by non-Arab Turkey and Indonesia. This group will not have a common currency, but will find ways to form a new sort of representative council to lead in term of economics and external policy. The cement is religious and the push for some sort of unity will be from bellow. The government, as WikiLeaks teach us, that did not act in the interest of the people – in order to survive – will start cooperating and carve themselves a seat at the table.

(4) to complete the six-sided table, we expect Brazil (2.82% 0f World Population) to move into the last available billionaire position and represent Latin America and the Sub-Saharan Africa region. Brazil has also the potential to absorb into its loser knit Group-of-the Rest the Pacific States, the Caribbean States, and whatever is left of South-East Asia after attachment have been created by links of some of the States to one or the other of the other five groups.

We would be interested in receiving reactions to the above.

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a comment for this article

###